Sunday, November 9, 2008

A part of history destroyed

This morning I read an article in the local newspaper about a covered bridge, not far from where I live, that was destroyed by fire. The bridge was built in 1868 and was until yesterday morning still in use. The paper reported that this is being considered an arson and the only lead they have at the moment is an eyewitness who saw a white SUV driving away from the bridge shortly before the fire began.
http://snapshot.parade.com/mainemb.php?g2_itemId=989191 This website has a beautiful picture of the bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gudgeonville_Covered_Bridge This will give you the history as well as other facts about the bridge and pictures are also included here.
I still can not believe that someone could do such a thing. I haven't seen the bridge in many years but I know that as a child my father took us to see it.

1 comment:

Miawa said...

That kind of needless hurtful vandalism just makes me ill, really ill. I do and have always seen the beauty in age. And especially now compared to the new age of architecture and art.
What a shame, it can never be again, some people have no respect for anything. I am so sorry, I was hoping your post was going to say you had recent pics of it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails