Saturday, May 10, 2014

Page 4

Over the  years I've heard a lot about gesso and how it's used in various ways. Well recently I saw a pin on Pinterest for home made modeling paste which is very similar to gesso (at least as far as I can tell). It's made with three simple ingredients; paint, baby powder and glue. I decided to give it a try and experiment in my art journal.
I mixed up the modeling paste then brushed it on to the page and let it dry. When dry I painted the blue background over the dried paste. Next I painted the tree. The bird was a separate piece that I cut out, colored with markers then glued to the page. The S in spring was cut with my cricut machine and glued down and the rest of the word was done with markers.

After doing this page I had another idea for using the paste but I'll save that for another post.

The original recipe for homemade modeling past can be found HERE

In other news, I'm running a bit behind with blog reading and emails. It's been a couple days since I've cleaned out my email inbox. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to that. I will read all of them and I appreciate all comments but sometimes I have to pass on responding.

12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have heard the word, but not in ages. How is it different from paint? Why would you use it instead? Your bird is exquisite!

Duni said...

That is so beautiful! I love the bird :)

Jille said...

I love this page Ann! I have never used gesso. I'm guessing it's used like a primer? Have a lovely weekend

Unknown said...

Um, that kind of paste doesn't sound very tasty. Sorry.

Marg said...

That is just great Ann. I like that a lot. Do some more of that. Do a cat. Take care and have a great day.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Ann Especially love the way you made the word spring. I had also seen the modelling paste recipe but didn't want to go buy baby powder--must try it wil regular powder and see if it works!
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Sandee said...

I like and the message is even better.

Have a fabulous day. My best to Duke. :)

Grace said...

So this journal is like a sketch book?

Sharkbytes said...

I am in awe that you are keeping this up. You make me want to try again.

Arlynda Lea Beuterbaugh said...

Ann, You remind me of my sister-so talented---me not so much. I can enjoy others talents though.

Out on the prairie said...

Love that bird. Hope you have an enjoyable Mother's Day!

Unknown said...

It looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails