Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Creative play

I know you're all just dying to know what I did with my day off. But first I have a note about dying. I originally typed in dieing but got the little red squiggly line under the word. I had to go in search of what the correct spelling was. Dieing is when you are cutting something with a die. When referring to death the correct spelling is dying. I've been spelling it wrong for years.

OK enough about that. So yesterday I decided to try something that I've been dying (had to use it again) to try. I read about printing on fabric and thought it sounded interesting.

You start by ironing Heat n Bond (iron on adhesive) to the back of the fabric you want to print on. Then you choose a picture on your computer and print. The paper backing on the Heat n Bond makes the fabric stiff enough to run through the printer without a problem.

My first attempt I used a picture that I edited and lowered the opacity, then added the words.
 After I printed it I used my sewing machine to sew the picture to background fabric using a blanket stitch. If I were to use this picture again I would keep it full color so it's more obvious what it is. I also need to be more careful putting it in a frame. This is seriously crooked.

Attempt two I went in to the computer and found some scrapbook elements that I had downloaded ages ago from a blog called Cen's loft. She's no longer blogging but she used to give away a lot of free scrapbooking stuff.

I used a Micron pen to go around a few things to define them a bit more. Again I used a blanket stitch to attach it to a background fabric. I need some practice on the blanket stitch. This is actually the first time I've used it.

This was fun and I can see doing more of it.

13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I LOVE this technique!! Can't wait to see more. Your blanket stitch looks professional.

Jille said...

That looks so easy Ann, I may add it to my 'to do' list!

Duni said...

I tried this once, but I wasn't too pleased with the result.
Yours came out well, especially the second one!

MadSnapper said...

I really like the look of the blanket stitch, and love the second one. I am thinking you can sell these at the next market you go to.. plus all the fun you had doing it. and dying/dieing while trying/trieing..

Out on the prairie said...

I have used a crayon that transfers to fabric with an iron

Sandee said...

You are most talented. I love all your crafty projects.

Have a fabulous day. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Marie said...

how cool! and I do love the stitching! I love stitching on bags/purses and jeans. stitching can really top of a good anything. hope you'll be taking these to your next craft show. :)

btw I got my first badge for floors yesterday..lol I had 30 floors, but only 4795 steps.

Grace said...

Well this looks like fun! And, contrary me, maybe because I am not a crafty/sewing/creative person - the blanket stitch throws me off. It makes things look un-finished somehow.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I really love this project, Ann and think both are so nice! I guess you had to be sure the fabric was cut to just the right size to go through the printer.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love it.... Isn't it fun to learn something new? You did GREAT....

By the way, did you see my comment on one of your FB posts??????

Hugs,
Betsy

BeadedTail said...

I had no idea how to print photos on fabric but this is so cool! What a fun idea and I love how they turned out!

Christine said...

I love this idea & seriously Ann, your blanket stitch looks perfect to me!

Judy said...

I love this and have done it in the past, but printer ink is so stinkin' expensive these days.
Using a blanket stitch makes it look so homespun, especially with the gingham border. All I did was turn the edges under and topstitch and I was never satisfied with how it looked. I think the blanket stitch is a genius idea.
Wouldn't it be fun to print out small images and adhere them to one of your index cards creations?
I can see you doing all kinds of fun things, that is, if you don't run out of ink!

Related Posts with Thumbnails