Saturday, August 26, 2017

My younger days

This is going back a few years. This was me, half a century ago


My Younger Days

by Maya Angelou

When I was in my younger days,
I weighed a few pounds less,
I needn't hold my tummy in
to wear a belted dress.

But now that I am older,
I've set my body free;
There's the comfort of elastic
Where once my waist would be.

Inventor of those high-heeled shoes
My feet have not forgiven;
I have to wear a nine now,
But used to wear a seven.

And how about those pantyhose-
They're sized by weight, you see,
So how come when I put them on
The crotch is at my knee?

I need to wear these glasses
As the print's been getting smaller;
And it wasn't very long ago
I know that I was taller.

Though my hair has turned to gray
and my skin no longer fits,
On the inside, I'm the same old me,
It's the outside's changed a bit.

12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are adorable! But you look like you did not want your picture taken! LOVE this poem, it is new to me!

MadSnapper said...

love the blast from the past and the poem is soooo true...didn't we all wear our hair like that when we were young? you are da bomb... love you

Marg said...

That is one terrific poem. I am right there with you on all the changes.Getting old is not fun but it beats the alternative. Have a good day Ann.

Anonymous said...

Ann another hidden talent in your creativity persona!!! You do look the same...:)JP

Pam said...

Don't you just love these old pics!? Brings back memories and makes you wonder what your mom was doing with she fixed your hair or picked out that dress! Adorable......

Out on the prairie said...

what a cutie

Duni said...

Such a cute photo! Love the bow in your hair. The poem is perfect :)

peggy said...

Cutie! also the poem. I didn't know Maya wrote cute things too. Have a wonderful day everyone, wear your elastic waist pants, I am!!

Grace said...

A light-hearted Maya is always a treat - and you look so unhappy in that photo...

Sandee said...

Is today your birthday? If so happy birthday, my friend.

You were adorable in your younger days.

Have a fabulous day. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Connie said...

How true, how true for all of us :)

Reeni said...

Oh adorable! You look like how I feel when someone wants to take my pic! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails