Wednesday, September 6, 2017

What is so difficult about that.

More and more I'm seeing people who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Nothing is ever their fault or they deny being involved at all. It's not just younger people either. It's all ages. What is so hard about saying I'm sorry, I was wrong, my mistake, I try my best not to do that again?

One such case of passing the blame is just far to funny for me not to pass up telling. Being a deli/bakery area, nail polish is not permitted while working. We tell people that and it's even posted on a dress code policy that is right over the time clock.


One girl came in with it on and because she kept gloves on I didn't notice it but was told after the fact that she had it on. She came in again with it on and the deli manager caught her and told her it was not allowed. Her response was that she was told it was ok because it was the gel kind and it doesn't chip off. She was told that was incorrect, no nail polish of any kind.

Fast forward to her next shift, a Sunday, working with me and she comes in wearing nail polish. I told her she couldn't work with it on. She acted totally surprised and said "I can't"  I told her she had already be told, it's posted over the time clock and I could not allow her to work with it on. She tried a few excuses that it would take her a long time to get it off and she needed special stuff to remove it. I said I was sorry, she could come back when she had it off but I couldn't let her work with it on.

Two days later I heard that I was totally out of line for sending her home, I should have just written her up and I needed therapy for my anger issues. This came from another part time deli employee.

How did this turn from an employee breaking the rules to me needing therapy?  Sometimes I really do feel like I work with a bunch of preschoolers.

15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You did the right thing! But either way, people would have complained. Even more so if you had let her work. It was a no win situation, and too bad that you had to be the one who had to handle it.

Dr Sonia S V said...

Oh I so feel for you Ann!

Grace said...

What did management say? A p/t employee told YOU what to do? Seriously? That person needs a smack down as well. It's a health and safety issue - there is no argument. You are too kind to describe them as pre-schoolers - they are ass-wipes.

MadSnapper said...

I can relate and fully understand, I had the same thing happen to me when I was a manager over 21 person team. 2 girls, 23 years old, repeatedly warned about personal phone calls, I finally wrote them up for it. they were calling each other and talking to stop the clients calls from coming to them. if they got off at 5, they would chat for 15 minutes to each other and that way they did not get a call that would keep them past 5. I ended up called into the directors office for anger issues just like you. and what the said was a total lie

Out on the prairie said...

All the bakery workers I know do wear gloves , it would be hard for me with such large hands.I will look them over closer. Some people tend to want to bend rules to accommodate their own personal habits. I think you were right with holding to the rules.

Lin said...

It's the new world! Nobody has to obey any rules because they are special. Don't use turn signals, stop at stop signs or lights, don't dress properly for work...or DO work at work....

You are not alone. It's madness to witness and navigate in this nutty world.

Sandee said...

I hope you did write her up. If the person before you did as well, then pretty soon you'll have grounds for termination. This person is not a team player.

I don't know why people do this. Perhaps because it works most of the time? The rules are there for a reason and apparently they don't apply to her.

Have a fabulous day, Ann. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Reeni said...

Rolling my eyes over here - at them - not you - don't let them get to you! I agree they should both be written up. Brats! :)

bichonpawz said...

I TOTALLY think you did the right thing. I would have done the very same! WTF is wrong with these people????? It makes me crazy!! Hang in there Ann...I don't think you need therapy!

Pam said...

It is how things are looked at these days, you do not want to OFFEND the one in the wrong!! So what is wrong with this, EVERYTHING!

Unknown said...

Well, you were completely in the right to enforce the rules, but this is not to say that you do not need a lot of therapy. Sorry.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You did the right thing.

But in this day and age that is not always enough. I have experienced similar things here in Sweden, so it is not just an American pattern of behavior. People are selfish and will defend their right to be that way at any cost.

I work at a high school where the children are thirteen to to fifteen years old and they often act like pre-schoolers. But what is worse in that the principal often takes their side. ("the little darlings...!) We live in a looking-glass world. Nothing is as you would expect it to be.

Best wishes,
Anna

Unknown said...


friday 8th September 2017

Dear Ann,
By the way, I am following you at Pinerest under the name "Tina Nordeman". But it is me, I use the name "Tina" & "Tinord" for Etsy, FaceBook, Instagram and Twitter.

Best wishes,
Anna

Unknown said...

Sorry, "Pinterest". I am not the world's best speller!
Anna

Related Posts with Thumbnails