The past 12 months have given us laughter and tears, good times and bad and yet we moved on. Not dwelling on the bad or lingering to long with the good. And so it is that I shall say goodbye once again
- Farewell - English (formal)
- Bye - English (casual)
- totsiens / tot siens - Afrikaans (standard)
- tot weersiens - Afrikaans (informal)
- tot wederom - Afrikaans (informal)
- wederdom - Afrikaans (informal)
- koebaai - Afrikaans (informal; derived from English "Good-Bye")
- ghoebaai - Afrikaans (informal; derived from English "Good-Bye")
- baai - Afrikaans (informal; derived from English "Bye")
- arriewarie - Afrikaans (informal; folk etymology from "Au revoir")
- tatta / tata - Afrikaans (children's language)
- vaarwel - Afrikaans (formal)
- elalleqa - Arabic
- khodaa haafez _ persian
- aabar dekha hobey - Bengali
- Donadagohvi - Cherokee
- Hagoonea' - Navajo
- Ahoj - Czech
- Ja ne / じゃね (informal) - Japanese
- Ja mata ne / じゃまたね (formal) - Japanese
- Sayonara / さよなら (if you will not see them for a long time) - Japanese
- Auf Wiedersehen - German
- Bis dann - German
- Tschüss - German
- Ade - German
- Tschau - German
- Bis Spater (Bis Schpaater)- German
- Viszlát! - Hungarian
- Arrivederci - Italian
- Addio - Italian
- Ciao - Italian
- Buona sera - Italian
- Adieu - French [add-ee-uh] (farewell) very formal
- Au Revoir - French (aw reh-VWAH)
- À bientôt - French (see you later)(ah bee-EN-toe)
- À demain - French (see you tomorrow)(ah deh-MAN)
- Hejdå - Swedish
- Aloha - Hawaiian
- Le'hitraot - Hebrew
- Shalom - Hebrew
- Aavajo - Gujarati
- Sampai Jumpa - Indonesian
- Adios - Spanish
- Paalam - Filipino
- Zai Jian - Chinese, Mandarin
- Zoi Geen (the "g" is pronounced like geek) - Chinese, Cantonese
- Farvel - Danish
- Namaste (same as hello) - Hindi ( this video shows you how to pronounce namaste: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlcpjgyrOg )
- Fir Milenge (see you) - Hindi
- Alvida (Goodbye, bit formal) - Hindi
- Ayo - Papiamentu
- Rub Rakha - Punjabi
- Feri bhetaula (lit. we'll meet again) - Nepali
- Do zobaczenia (see you) - Polish
- Żegnaj - Polish
- Adeus - Portuguese
- Tchau - Portuguese
- Do svidan’ya/До Свидания (until we meet again, formal)- Russian
- Poka/Пока (pronounced pa-ka, informal) - Russian
- Do vstrechi/До Встречи (until we meet again) - Russian
- Selamat jalan - Malay
- Selamat tinggal - Malay
- Tot ziens - Dutch
- Dag - Dutch
- Doei - Dutch
- 再见 - Chinese
- Yasou (YAH-soo) - Greek
- Hwyl fawr - Welsh
- Annyeonghi Kyeseyo(if the person you're talking to isn't leaving) - Korean
- Anyeonghi Gasyeo(if the person you're talking to is leaving) - Korean
- Näkemiin (See you) - Finnish
- Hyvästi (Farewell) - Finnish
- Hasta La Vista (see you later) - Spanish
- Adios - Spanish
- Te veo despues - Spanish
- Vale- Latin (to one person)
- Valete- Latin (to more than one person)
- La revedere - Romanian
- Veloma - Malagasy
- Sige la - Pangasinan
- Khuda Hafiz - Urdu
- zai jian - Chinese
- Ha det bra - Norwegian
- Ha det - Norwegian
- Sees - Norwegian
- Snakkes - Norwegian
- Vida parayunnu - Malayalam
- Vidaiperukiren - Tamil (very formal, in fact no one uses this)
- Ok maams - Tamil (very informal, use with mates only)
- Poitu Vaarein (Taking leave but will visit again)- Tamil (standard fare)
- Vaarein (Will come again) - Tamil short for Poitu Vaarein
- Slan - Irish
- Aavajo - Gujarati
- Чао - Macedonian
- Doviđenja - Croatian (litteraly means "Until we see again")
- Bog - Croatian ( litteraly means "God", but can be pronounced Bok! so it is differencianised from the word "God")
- Ćao - Croatian ( Primarily used in Coastal Croatia, because of it location very close to Italy, where you would say "Ciao" and the prounanciation of Ciao and Ćao are similar, if not the same)
- Mattae Sigona - Kannada (Used for meet you again sometime)
- Chao - Serbian/Bulgarian
- Nawatha hamu wemu - Sinhalese (This means "Catch you later")
- Subha dawasak - Sinhalese (This means "Have a nice day")
- Nasvidenje - Slovene (Formal)
- Adijo - Slovene (Bye)
- Čav - Slovene (Also čao and is pronounced as italian ciao)
list copied from http://www.wikihow.com/Say-Goodbye-in-Several-Different-Languages
And Adéu in Catalan :D Wishing you a happy new year, Ann!
So this is goodbye then? Is it?
Happy New Year! :-)
Well, I guess that just about covers it...!!
Happy New Year Ann!
That's a pretty comprehensive list! Ann, hope you are feeling better today...may your new year be filled with happiness and great health!
Cool post.. now onward to the New! I sure have enjoyed popping in to visit with you this year, sweet blogging Friend!
I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Us Brits also say,....seeya, cheerio, tataa, among many others...all the best for the New year Ann...hope you are feeling better.
wellll there is nothing like a long good bye and this one fits perfectly. love it. bye now, bless your heart. that is southern for good bye.
That is a great list! Sending you warm wishes to feel better and all the best for 2012!
I hope your cold is on the wane...but a perfect excuse to stay cuddled up and comatose - a short winter hibernation...so relaxing, refreshing and rejuvenating...
Very cool good bye for 2011.
Big hug to you & Duke! Be safe and have fun while bringing in 2012!
Looks like you've covered the goodbye quite nicely.
May you and yours have a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. My best to Duke. :)
Wow, that covers just about everyone...except Klingon :-) Yes, I'm a Star Trek fan.
Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.
Have a safe and wonderful New Years!!
Who knew there was so many ways to say bye!
Hope you feel better soon Ann! Happy New year to you and Duke!
What a cute post!
Wishing you a wonderful 2012 full of love, hugs and laughter :)
Cute post Ann! Have a Happy New Year Duke and Ann!
This made me smile. But I do hope you recover soon.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year!!!
Hello There, Happy New Year! Make it a good one. Live and love more and stop worrying about things that are beyond your control. Every day is a gift and you can choose what you do with it!
That's an awful lot of goodbyes. Happy New Year!
I can take a hint. Tee-hee. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year! sandie♥
But only "bye" for a moment, and then we'll do Hello 2012!
Post a Comment