Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Working on a project

Aside from taking Gibbs to the vet for his rabies shot I spent most of my day off working on a craft project. I saw a picture on Pinterest for a bathroom wall grouping. It included a cone shaped vase to hang and they had fake cotton branches in it. I would show the picture but it's from Etsy and I don't want to snag their picture. Any way, I liked the cone shaped vase and have browsed around in stores but haven't seen anything remotely similar.

Yesterday I was looking through my craft stash closet when I came across a paper mache cone. I also had some burlap and some jute twine. I've had all of this stuff sitting around for quite a while and decided that I would avoid the usual procrastinating because I might screw things up and just dive right in.



I started by braiding the jute to make a hanger. I stapled the ends to hold it together until I could hot glue it


Next I hot glued the burlap to the paper mache cone and I had myself a perfectly good cone shaped hanging vase.


These won't be the flowers I will put in it but I hung it on the wall (crookedly I might add) and stuffed in the flowers just so you could see what it looked like. Of course it looks like I had different lighting in all of the pictures so the burlap color looks different in every one. Also just to give you an idea of how big this is, the cone is roughly 10 1/2 inches high.

Eventually this will go on my bathroom wall along with another project I'm working on.

21 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The cone is perfect, not a wrinkle or imperfection!!

Anni said...

Interesting.

Pam said...

Great job and cute idea. Can't wait to see the set up on the wall! In reply to your comment on my blog today....that would be a great idea for my brother and at least the car would not sit there with the tires rotting! Its all manual too, no power nothing, not even stirring!

MadSnapper said...

glad you told us the size, i thought it was small, like 4 or 5 inches. i like it and can't wait to see how you finish the project for your bath room...

Grace said...

I like the idea of wall vases, I wish I could put some up for real flowers to keep the cats away from them. On a strictly personal basis, I don't care the the brown/taupe/drab color of the burlap, I like everything bright and cheerful and colorful.

Lin said...

I love the vase! You did a great job in getting the burlap on it so perfectly. That is NOT easy to do!

Connie said...

Great job! You are a multi talented gal, always trying something new, I like that :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love it..... You are so talented... Glad you are enjoying this gift you have...

Hugs,
Betsy

Sandee said...

Looks like you had a very relaxing day off. Excellent. I love your project. Cute.

Have a fabulous day, Ann. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That turned out cute! You're giving us all good ideas! Hugs!

Ann said...

It actually went on quite easily

Ann said...

It was a good way to use some materials that have been laying around forever.

Ann said...

Thanks.
The AMC that my friend and her husband have is spotless. He's restored a lot of cars and I'm not sure if he restored this one or bought it and just took excellent care of it.

Ann said...

Having cats would make it difficult to have flowers sitting out. My daughter has a couple house plants that sit on top of the refrigerator.
I like bright and cheery colors but not for decorations in the house. I don't know why.

Ann said...

Thanks. Would you believe I even managed to hot glue it on without burning myself once.

Ann said...

Thanks Betsy. I like when I can make something using only the stuff I have too

Ann said...

It was a great day off but not long enough. They go by too fast

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

well that was a good idea....and you found you had the supplies...you go gal...

Rick (Ratty) said...

Pretty good. I'd make my house look a lot better if I could do stuff like that.

CheerfulMonk said...

I love the textures, and the braid brought back some old memories. :)

Ann Martin said...

It looks really nice, Ann! And it's such a good feeling to finally use supplies you've had on hand for ages.

Related Posts with Thumbnails