Sunday, September 6, 2020

Have a ball

In the bakery department at work some things just go better than others. Some may sell well for a little while and then die out. Some things may never sell very good at all. And then there are those items that just keep selling. One such item is our pepperoni balls. They are made from Italian bread dough. We make them three times a week. Each time we make them we make 15 bags and they always sell out by the next day.
I start by cutting a loaf of Italian bread into 10 pieces. I do three loaves at a time and a total of 9 loaves
 
Next I add a third of a slice of mozzarella cheese and 8 slices of pepperoni to each cut piece 
Then I roll each piece into a ball and place 20 on a tray and put in a heated proof box for the dough to rise 
The day I was making these I forgot to take a picture of them once they came out of the oven but here's a bag of them on the shelf ready to be sold
 
You get six in a bag for $2.99. I also occasionally do deep-fried pepperoni balls which in my opinion are much better but these sell like hotcakes.

13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I have NEVER heard of these, they look awesome!! Too much trouble to make, so I can see why people would rather buy them. Do you eat them?

CheerfulMonk said...

I can understand why they're so popular. :)

Hootin Anni said...

I bet they're yummy. Take 'em home, and have heated pizza dipping sauce & you could make a meal!

MadSnapper said...

kind of like a pizza roll biscuit thingy... i would love it. bread, cheese and pepperoni? OH MY..no wonder they sell. i am waiting to hear if you eat them, Ginny asked and now me.. of course i would eat the bread all by itself... anything with white flour i could LIVE on it all by itself

Rose said...

This sounds so yummy....we have a bowling alley that makes pepperoni stuffed bread sticks. We don't get them often but sure love them.

Martha said...

I can understand why tell sell quick! I make something similar for our football buffets, but I put a small cooked meatball inside instead of pepperoni and serve with marinara for dipping :)

Forsythia said...

Been watching the Great British Baking Show and now I know what a proving drawer is. No wonder these sell by the next day.

Jeanette said...

I can see why! Those look really good!

The Feminine Energy said...

Yummmmmooo!!!! Sounds absolutely delicious. Do you think it's too long of a drive, from Indiana, to come buy some?! :-D *haha* Love, Andrea xoxo

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Yum! I know I would be buying those.

Ann said...

Ginny, they are really good. I haven't had any in a while but I have eaten them

CheerfulMonk, they are one of those items that never get old. People keep wanting them.

Anni, They are yummy and your idea with the pizza sauce sounds like a good one

Cynthia The first time I heard of a proof box I had no idea what it was. It uses a combination of heat and humidity to help the dough rise. Most things take an hour give or take.

Andrea, Well they are good but I wouldn't drive that far just for thenm...lol

Kate said...

These look yummy!

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

sound yummy...a good seller for sure

Related Posts with Thumbnails