Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Oh that holiday feeling

Aren't the holidays just wonderful? People are so sweet and kind. If you didn't hear the sarcasm in those first two sentences let me assure you it was there.

On Sunday I was called to the front of the store. A customer wanted to know if he could have his 60 cents back. I asked what for. He said that the sign says pies are $5.99 but they are scanning $6.59. I told him if it was a cherry pie those are $6.59. He gave me a nasty look and said that's not what the sign says. I informed him that the sign does say underneath that cherry pies are $6.59. I told him I would bring the sign up if he would like to read it. He gave me another nasty look, turned around and walked out the door.

Yesterday I had double duty. I was doing the bakery as well as covering the office. I needed to make pies but they have to go last because I have to turn the temperature up on the oven. I had pulled the pies out of the freezer and was in the process of getting them ready to go in the oven but had been interrupted a couple times to run to the office. A customer comes in and asks if the pumpkin pies are done. I informed her that I was in the process of getting them in the oven but it would be a while before they were done. I got another nasty look and in a huffy tone she informed me that she was told they would be ready Tuesday morning. The deli girl said she talked to her Monday and told her I would be making pies on Tuesday but never said they would be ready in the morning. 

I'm really ready for the holiday to be over.  

12 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

A good friend of mine was in retail, and this time of year was always a nightmare!!

MadSnapper said...

i worked retail for 17 years at Sears,which means you can not shock me with nasty people stories.. what is a surprise is you only had two to share and not 6. LOL... i never worked retail food and I imagine that is even worse.. the worst dept i worked was paint and supplies. arrrhhhh

The Feminine Energy said...

OMG.... people! So much time is wasted being angry. I think you handled the two crabby folks perfectly, Ann. I don't envy you your job in the least. ~Andrea xoxoxo

Grace said...

Maybe it was a kinder gentler time or Vermonters are kinder gentler people but when I lived in Burlington VT during the mid-90's I always worked a 2nd part-time job in the only shopping Mall in that part of the world and while the holidays were always frantic the customers were always fun...really. One year I worked the Customer Service Desk and did gift wrapping, sure we got a little blow-back on what was included in the "free" wrapping choices but have you ever tried to gift wrap a basketball? And not the kind that comes semi-boxed...One year I worked a food and wine "gift" kiosk and that was fun...explaining maple syrup to flatlanders...never could get them to understand that dark and very dark was way tastier than the golden...

Sandee said...

You seem to be running into the angry people right now. They want what they want for a cheaper price and when they want it, not when they are done.

Have a fabulous day, Ann. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Rose said...

What lovely customers..not!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You can't do it all! I'm sorry that the customers are not as nice as they could be. You're doing your best. Take a deep breath!

Ida said...

I just don't understand the rudeness of people anymore! So sorry you have to deal with that.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

you need a vacation - somewhere like a retreat with roaring log fire, wonderful foods, a spa and a soft squishy bed with all the trimmings...

DeniseinVA said...

I am sorry you had to deal with such churlishness.

Donna said...

Why is it that PEOPLE CAN'T READ?????
Infuriating!!
hughugs

Donna said...

Why is it that PEOPLE CAN'T READ???
Infuriating!!
hughugs

Related Posts with Thumbnails