Sunday, September 6, 2026

Honk Honk

Recently the two little boys across the street were standing at the end of their driveway, pumping their arms up and down at passing cars, hoping for a honk. No luck that day.


But Friday evening (8/28) they were out there again, this time with a few of the other neighbor kids. Whenever a car came down the road, they all rushed to the end of the driveway and pumped their arms as fast as they could. Car after car honked for them.

I sat inside watching TV, smiling every time I heard a honk. I think I was just as thrilled as they were. It took me right back to riding in the back seat of my parents’ car, trying to get truckers to honk at us.

18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I don't think I have ever heard of this! The little girls down the street are always having a trinket sale or a lemonade stand and try to get drivers to stop and buy.

handmade by amalia said...

Children can turn anything into a game.
Amalia
xo

Barwitzki said...

Simply wonderful :-))

It reminds me that when I'm by the river, I always wave to passing boats :-)))
Hug

My Mind's Eye said...

Awww yes Ann
I remember road trips like that and also counting Volks wagons we passed on the highway.
Hugs Cecilia

Duni said...

That's so cute!

photowannabe said...

Oh yes !!!
I remember doing that too ...
it was so fun to get a response from the truckers.
Love seeing the kids doing that now. It would have made me smile just like you did.
Sue

Chatty Crone said...

I remember that too!

Jeanette said...

I used to do that when I was a kid but only to trucks, not cars. It was fun!

HappyK said...

I remember trying to get the truck drivers trying to blow their horns.

CheerfulMonk said...

That is so friendly! We need more of that in the world.

Debbie said...

what a cute story. i smiled because they were playing outside...not many kids do anymore!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so cute. I'm glad they honked at them.

Rose said...

Our girls used to sit in the back trying to get truckers to honk...and a lot of them did.

DeniseinVA said...

What fun for those kids. I remember our son doing the same thing at truckers on journeys to see grandma and grandpa. Those kids will have the same fun memories as we all did :)

Debbie Nolan said...

How nice folks honked their horns. We have Amish children in our area that also do the same. Enjoy honking mine and getting them to smile. Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day. Hugs!

Lori said...

How fun for the kids (and you). I love seeing kids outside doing fun things together.

Barbara said...

That’s so cute! I’m glad they were getting some honks from the passerbyers.

MadSnapper n Beau said...

we did the semi honks while riding and the most fun of all was the 50 miles of railroad that ran beside 301 coming down to Bradenton to see my mothers mother. daddy would try to race the train and we would hang out the window doing this and the engineer would give long blows for us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails