Sunday, September 27, 2026

Somewhere over the rainbow.

 I was driving down the highway on my way to work one day and thought I saw a rainbow in the sky. I got off at my exit and since there wasn't anyone behind me I stopped at took a picture.

Yes, I do believe that is a rainbow


And here's another one. It's faint but it's there.


12 comments:

Rita said...

It may be faint but it is definitely a rainbow! :)

Duni said...

Wonderful! I do love seeing rainbows.

Jeanette said...

Interesting.

My Mind's Eye said...

Oh what a pretty veiw for a drive to work....
Hugs Cecilia

Shug said...

Such a beautiful rainbow to see as you were driving...glad you were able to capture it for us to see.

handmade by amalia said...

How nice. I adore rainbows but we have yet to have proper rain.
Amalia
xo

photowannabe said...

So pretty. I think it may be something called a "Sun Dog" or something like that. Its kind of like a halo around the sun. But maybe its just a simply gorgeous rainbow ... either way, I really like your capture. (:0)
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

A.I. says this is a primary rainbow, which is present when moisture and sunlight are present but conditions are not ideal. I have not seen one like this!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I just downloaded this to A.I. and you won't believe what it said!! It is a sun pillar. Here is what it said: That is not a typical rainbow. It looks like a sun pillar or a segment of a 22° halo, both of which are caused by sunlight interacting with ice crystals high in the atmosphere.

Here's why:

The bright band is vertical, rising above and below the Sun.
It appears very close to the Sun.
There is little to no strong rainbow color separation visible.
The Sun appears low in the sky, which is a common time to see sun pillars.

A rainbow is usually an arc opposite the Sun after rain. In your photo, the feature is on the same side of the sky as the Sun.

My best identification from the image is a sun pillar: a vertical shaft of light produced when sunlight reflects from flat ice crystals in high, thin clouds. The wispy clouds visible around the Sun support that explanation.

HappyK said...

It is faint but it looks like a rainbow to me because it is an arch.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Gorgeous photos, Ann!

Chatty Crone said...

You found two rainbows for sure!

Related Posts with Thumbnails