Thursday, August 4, 2022

Two days in a row. I'm going for a record.

 I don't really have a whole lot to talk about today. I thought I would answer some questions from yesterday.

I've also got a link to my boss's obituary if anyone is interesting in seeing who I worked for.

William E. Corbin

Ginny said that I need to be the new manager. I was a store manager for a while but after Wade and I got married I went back to the bakery. I really didn't like that job. I don't mind helping out in any way I can though.

Andrea asked how old he was. He was 61. Just a year older than me. His birthday was just a few days after mine.

Lots of you commented on my plumbing problem. I'm just glad it's done now and it didn't cost me a fortune. I think the hardest part for me is knowing who to call and wondering if I can trust them. Wade always either knew how to fix things himself or seemed to know someone to call. 

So the ret of this week, today and tomorrow are going to be so incredibly busy. Friday especially because I have 2 big orders to do.

Next week should be interesting because we have a girl in the deli going on vacation. One of the night managers went to the boss's son and told him she would cover the hours. Um, hello? You're going to add overtime hours on to  your paycheck? Well I went to the boss's son with a proposed deli schedule for next week that divided the hours among the 3 part time deli girls and didn't include any over time at all. I also told him I would work the Saturday that the deli girl going on vacation normally works in bakery. I'll work that day and cut hours where I can throughout the week. He liked my solution way better and he used that to do the schedule for next week. Night manager may be upset with me but she didn't think her plan through very well.


13 comments:

betty said...

Oh wow, Ann. I read his obit. He is about 4 years younger than me. Looked like a wonderful man. I'm sure he left a great legacy behind and will be missed by all who loved him. Sad too that his mom is still alive. That has to be hard on her to cope with his passing :(

I think your deli schedule was brilliant how you came up with it. That seems like the logical thing to do rather than pay overtime unless that lady wanted some overtime?

betty

betty said...

I left a comment but I see it didn't go through. Maybe in your spam folder?

I read your boss' obit. He was about 4 years younger than me. He sounded like a wonderful man. I'm sure he left behind a wonderful legacy and will be missed by all who loved him. It is sad that his mom is still alive. That has to be so hard on her to cope with.

Your deli schedule was brilliant. It seemed like the best solution to avoid overtime unless that employee wanted some overtime?

betty

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, you are excellent at time management between people!! Another reason you should be the manager. But I do understand. Not much is worse than having a job you do not like. And in your bakery job, you get to use your creative talent. Do you think the son will take over the business? Hopefully so, and you are making it a bit easier for him.

Hootin Anni said...

I would NOT like it either ...I was supervisor for years in a school office, and I often think how things are now with workers not wanting to work...I'd be bald pulling my hair out!!
61 is so young.

MadSnapper said...

You are going to be busy, they are lucky and blessed to have you there with your long time knowledge. You are thinking of keeping the store moving along while she was thinking of more dollars in her paycheck. I was a manager for a year and went back to team lead, which is like what you do, in charge of 20 people not the whole thing.
so young and each time I see your age I think I am old enough to be your mother, YIKES, my son is 57.
thanks for the link. I read the obit and he was a talented and gifted man. I also took a google map tour and looked at your grocery store and I love the buildings on the street and the store looks good. those small houses accross the street I really like. now I have driven up and down the street I can imagine where you are when working.

The Feminine Energy said...

Your deceased boss was so young. *sigh* We know not the day nor the hour. May he rest in peace. ~Andrea xoxo

Grace said...

And that's why you would make a great store manager - creativity applies to everything, not just arts and crafts.

Ida said...

First let me say I'm sorry to learn about your Boss's sudden passing. I'm sure that came as a huge shock to everyone. - Also I want to apologize for not commenting on your blog for awhile. Seems like there is always something going on around here and I don't get on the computer as often as I would like. Anyway I'm still around and will visit and comment as often as I can. - Hoping your week is going well and I'm glad you got the plumbing problem fixed for a reasonable amount .

Sandee said...

Overtime is something a boss doesn't want to pay. Well done, Ann.

Your boss was so very young. What a shame.

Have a fabulous day, Ann. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥

Pam said...

My ex hubs was never good at fixing things but I have a brother that was so Mark usually fixed my stuff. A few yrs ago I stopped asking him to do things cause he is only two yrs younger than me, he was keeping up moms house and yard, his home and yard, so I felt he did not need to be doing things for me. As for the no over time, most places are being really crazy about over time. Prob that I see though, not enough staff to cover the hours in a day, and then the company does not want to pay extra for the ones pulling their and others weight. I am not sure that the world is ever going to get straightened out.

Jeanette said...

You did a good time management job. You can tell you have experience I'm sure they appreciate your saving them money! That's so sad about your boss. He was too young!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

He sounds like a well educated man. It is so sad that he had to die so young.
I'm impressed with the plan you came up with for the store.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for the link. I will read it after I send this. I am impressed with how you handled this situation at work. It takes a natural skill to take care of such things. Everyone benefitted.

Related Posts with Thumbnails