Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Hobo stove

The other day at work I opened one of these 10lb cans and it made me think of hobo stoves. Have you ever heard of them?

When I was a kid my dad was a boy scout leader and one of the things he did with his troop was to make hobo stoves. Being the good father that he was, he also made them at home to entertain my friends and I. 

Basically, you turn the can upside down, cut a hole in the side of it and build a fire underneath and use the bottom of the can as your cooking surface. I found a website that shows details on how to make your own so I won't go into it but if you're interested, here is the link HERE 

14 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think I had heard of these many decades ago.It would be really fun for kids to make and try out.

Hootin Anni said...

I've heard of them, but never knew.

Kate said...

It's nice to be reminded of things like this from our younger days - gives one a warm fuzzy feeling. ^^

Rose said...

I had not thought of them in years!

Martha said...

I remember hearing about them when I was a kid but have never done it myself.

Lin said...

We used to make tennis ball "cannons" with cans. Taping 3 cans together and putting a little lighter fluid in the bottom. Drop the ball in and whoosh! it flies out.

Do kids still find fun stuff to do with cans???

Sandee said...

I've heard of them and I've seen them. Ingenious for sure.

Have a fabulous day, Ann. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

MadSnapper said...

i love to play with fire and am surprised this is news to me... to hot to play with fire now, last night at 6 pm it was still 90.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Didn't know you could do that. Very interesting.

Jeanette said...

We made them when I was in Camp Fire Girls a long time ago!

CheerfulMonk said...

I've never made one, but I had heard of them. It's a clever idea.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

I think homesteaders as well as boy scouts made a lot of tools from such items - suspect there are few still in use today. Here in NZ where a cup of tea on the road was one of those compulsory must haves, the Thermette was invented. And apparently you could put a frypan on them and have a tasty dinner as well...

The Feminine Energy said...

That is also called a "rocket stove". They sell big versions of that today. Genius concept! ~Andrea xoxo

Pam said...

Oh yes...I knew what that was.

Related Posts with Thumbnails