Sunday, September 10, 2017

Not everything goes according to plan

I'm always happy to show you my completed craft projects. If they make the blog I'm at a minimum satisfied with how they came out. I probably give you the wrong idea about my crafting adventures though. 
Today you get a rare look at a failure.

I bought these jars at Dollar Tree. I liked the lid with the tea light holder attached and knew they would make a great craft show item once decorated. For $1 how could I pass these up


The plan was to cover them with with napkins using mod podge. It was a good plan that went terribly wrong. This is what one looked like after I tore half of the napkin back off because I ripped it in several places and it looked horrible.

As long as I'm revealing my failure here I'll be completely honest and tell you that this was the second time I tore a napkin back off. I had another one on there and I had the same problems as this one so I washed it all off and the picture above was the second attempt.

If anyone has any experience with doing something like this I would greatly appreciate any pointers you might have

12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the fall print you chose! Why not just make it wrinkled and old looking? Then it wouldn't matter.

MadSnapper said...

I have no advice about napkins sticking, but why don't you just paint pumpkins or flower on them.

Hootin Anni said...

Maybe place the dry napkin on the jar, and dab some kind of finish on the napkin as you work around it....so it sticks without tearing [with a medium sized paint brush you'd find at the Dollar Tree]

Grace said...

Lord knows that I know nothing about crafting but it would seem to me that decorating a jar with paper on the outside might not be practical - you know, in case, at some point, the jar needs to be cleaned, water and paper just don't go together. (If you put a tea light in the jar at some point there might be discoloration in the inside of the jar). Why not make a stencil (or buy some stencils) and paint the design on the jar?

Sandee said...

You'll figure it out at some point. I know you will.

Have a fabulous day. Big hug to you and tons of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Andrea said...

It's darling, Ann, but I think perhaps the napkin is too thick for decoupage. Try scanning the napkin to get a picture of it... then print the picture on rice paper.... then decoupage that to the jar. I think you will be happier. But what a find at the dollar store!! I love those jars!! :-)

Out on the prairie said...

I wonder if spray glue would work and be less soggy.Once dry you coud modge the outside.

BeadedTail said...

Beads are so much easier. :)

Marg said...

I think it is pretty neat like it is. Looks like an antique. Anyway, nice try. Have a good rest of the day.

Pam said...

A crafting project I have not tried. Sorry for you luck on that one....maybe try again? If not....not a costly lesson to learn.

Unknown said...

According to a recent scientific study, crafting is a leading cause of serious mental health issues. For the sake of your loved ones, please give it up before an intervention is warranted. We care.

Unknown said...

why don't you just paint pumpkins or flower on them.


ดูหนัง

Related Posts with Thumbnails