Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The day after

I hope everyone enjoyed their day yesterday, no matter how you chose to spend it. It's back to work today and business as usual. Of course here on the blog I may still write about Christmas for a few more days.

Those of you who follow me on Facebook may have already seen this but I'm posting here any way. As long as I have been alive, my family had a nativity set that we put under the Christmas tree every year. I remember growing up how much I loved to arrange the pieces. Way back in the day, it included camels and sheep which melted and became disfigured during storage in our hot attic. Some pieces were slightly broken but still were a part of the yearly display.


When my dad could no longer live on his own, he moved it with my brother. What didn't get sold or given away went to my brothers house. The nativity set was displayed every year at their house.

My brother passed away several years ago. I was talking to my sister in law a month or so before Christmas and she said that she wanted to give the nativity set to me.

Sunday evening my niece dropped it off. After she left I carefully unwrapped each piece and began to arrange them under the tree. As I opened the one shepherd I recalled how he had the hole in his one shoulder. I remembered how years ago the donkey had one missing ear. Each piece came out of the tissue and brought tears as I remembered all those Christmases from long ago.


18 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Great memories!

MadSnapper said...

it is really a beautifuf set. I am so glad for you that she gave it to you, as she should have...seeing yours I wonder now where Mothers set is, I don't remember seeing it when she died and when we moved daddy. I hope my niece has it. like you, my brother and I arranged and rearranged the pieces many times, and then my children did also. even as adults we used to stand in front of the mantle and move them around....

Kate said...

Wonderful memories and so nice that you shared them.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a treasure to have. The holidays sure brings back memories! I wanted to write some of them down this year but haven't yet! Hope you have a good day and rest of the week! Hugs!

Marg said...

Wow, those are some great memories. Glad they gave the set to you. It is a gorgeous nativity set.Take care.

Lin said...

That was so nice of her to pass that on to you! It's a treasure....all those memories...the history...the missing parts....

You made it through Christmas, Ann! That's the WORST when you lose a loved one...especially a husband. I was thinking of you....

Sandee said...

And all this happened when you needed it most. A wonderful bunch of cherished memories.

Have a fabulous day, my friend. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Grace said...

Happy memories, even tho they may make you cry, are how we keep the past, and the people in our past, alive in the best possible way. What we all fear is being forgotten, so we should never shy away from remembering.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a trip down memory lane!! I like the shape if it, unusual. And there are still a lot of pieces left.

Ann said...

that they were

Ann said...

Happy to share

Ann said...

Thanks. I've always loved this set

Ann said...

Yes, it sure was.
I did make it through and fairly well I think too.

Ann said...

It's almost like it was planned that way isn't it :)

Ann said...

There's a song about Christmas memories. It says something about memories of happy days gone by, but they can still make me cry.
I totally agree with you about no shying away from remembering.

Ann said...

It was and what a beautiful trip it was.

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so glad they gave it to you, that means so much.

My husband is still here, but he's almost 84 and starting to have some health problems. (I'm 79.) We both agree if something happens to one of us the other will be left with a huge hole in their life, so this post resonates and my heart goes out to you. Take care, and thank you so much for your blog. I just recently found you and am grateful.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm so glad you have it. It looks very similar to my mom and dad's which I have. Some of the pieces are identical to mine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails