Tuesday, January 7, 2020

First one of the year

I've talked before about the annoying cake order I've gotten at work. This is the first one for 2020

It started with a deli girl taking a phone order. She comes to me saying the customer wants to know if I can do Batman. I say I don't have anything Batman to put on a cake and I can't draw anything because of copyright infringement. She goes back to the phone finishes the order and then comes and tells me she wants a cake for two people. One side is for a boy and she wants a soccer ball, the other side is for a girl and she wants unicorns.

A couple days later there is a note hanging when I get to work. It says customer called back, wants one side of the cake to have a ninja playing soccer and the other side unicorns and ballet slippers..
Now I need to make a call. I tell the lady I do flowers and I can handle a ball or something simple but I don't do ninjas or unicorns or ballet slippers.  I say I can do the soccer ball and pink and purple flowers on the girls side.

My order form now looks like this.



Even after talking to her myself I still wasn't sure what she wanted on the girls side. I suggested flowers and then she said something about a basketball. Oh and lets not forget that I hate doing tons of colors. Would you like to count the number of different colors on this cake with me? That's 7 different colors.

Did she like it? I have no idea. It said that she would be there 10am at the earliest to pick it up but when I left at 2:30 she still hadn't picked it up.

19 comments:

Gayle said...

Oh dear. What a fiasco.

MadSnapper said...

I think you did a great job of boy and girl sides. that note would put me over the edge and I might have lost it... makes me wonder just what people are thinking... I hate to think of how much you had to do to get 7 colors

Kate said...

Just how do you keep your sanity at work some days?!??!?! :)

Lin said...

Good lord! What do people think when they are ordering these cakes from a grocery store?? If you are that specific, go to a specialty cake bakery and spend the $$$$ that they would charge you for such details. Those are crazy demands.

Grace said...

I think people are watching too much Food TV (or cake boss, or whatever.) At least the person taking the order got the correct contact information...

Rose said...

That is wild that someone would expect that....I think it out to be that they get so many colors free with initial order, then set extra rate for each additional color...at least a couple or three dollars...that might make them think.

Sandee said...

I'm guessing you dream about these cakes from time to time. Yikes. I like it, but I get it on all the colors.

Have a fabulous day, my friend. Big hug to you and lots of scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Ginny Hartzler said...

You did a good job! Your handwriting is so beautiful! My opinion...if the wanted something so detailed, she should have gone to a regular bakery.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I think you did a lovely job on the cake and can't imagine that the kids didn't love it. Maybe that's the only fussy customer you'll have this year (One can only hope ;)

Jeanette said...

Looks fine to me! I hope she liked it!

Hootin Anni said...

Some people, just admit it...I do all the time. They're insane. I like what you did...and if she didn't, too bad. Ok I'd say it was her personal problem.

Hootin Anni said...

Lol ... above comment. "At least they Got the right contact #" dunno why, but that struck a funny bone.

Ann said...

Gayle, just another day on the job...lol

Lin, I know, really.

Grace, I think you're right too much cake boss. The right contact info isn't always right so this time I was lucky there

Sandee, more like nightmares...lol

Ginny Thanks and I agree, this is a regular bakery type order

Anni Yep, insane for sure.

CheerfulMonk said...

I like the idea of charging more for extra colors after the minimum. It's like paying for extra toppings on pizza.

I think it turned out great, but you essentially decorated two cakes and the gal should have been charged accordingly.

Marg said...

Well the cakes are terrific. There are some crazy people in this world. You have a great week Ann.

Pam said...

Some people expect the world in their hands and wanting someone else to produce that world!!!

Forsythia said...

I have a short fuse. I'm also all thumbs. Couldn't do what you do. I think you did a great job on this order.

Ann said...

Marg thank you and yes there sure are some crazy people.

Pam You got that right.

Cynthia, thanks. I've been known to have a short fuse too but I've mellowed quite a bit over the years.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Well I think it came out cute. My goodness what a hassle around decorating this cake!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails