Monday, August 22, 2011

Mush

I found these out in the yard the other day.
I offered to make Wade some mushroom soup and he turned me down. I don't think he trusts me :)
Seriously though, I wouldn't know a good mushroom from a bad one.

28 comments:

Julie Harward said...

LOL I am facinated with mushrooms too, each one is a little work of art! :D

Sandee said...

I wouldn't want any either, because I don't know the difference from the good ones or the bad ones. I'll just get mine at the grocery store.

Have a terrific day. My best to Duke. :)

Country Mouse Studio said...

I hear it's hard to tell.

Snappy Di said...

I don't eat any mushrooms as I never acquired a taste for their woody flavor... they're adorable to photograph though. :-)
AND they make awesome houses for fairies!

Chatty Crone said...

I have no idea either - so I think I'll pass too!

BeadedTail said...

I love mushrooms but wouldn't trust anything I picked myself. Mushroom hunting is a big deal in some of our forests out here though.

Marg said...

I can't tell the difference either and I don't blame Wade.I wouldn't eat them either. Better safe than sorry. Too funny. Take care.

Helen said...

That look big! I had some on my yard too but they were small. I don't like mushroom so I crushed everyone of them.

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

Those look like the little safe field mushrooms, but there are too many lookalikes.

Ginny said...

Neither would I! They are good for one thing only, snapping!

Lin said...

There are a lot of mushroom posts today--I guess everything is dewy with fall approaching.

What makes a good mushroom?? That would make a good google.....

Angela said...

That is a wonderful photograph! Your pictures are always so beautiful. I also want to thank you for commenting on my blog. You are always so sweet to me!

Grace said...

I suppose that's the difference between an artist and a non-artist - It would never occur to me to photo a mushroom.

And yeah, if you don't know what they are - don't eat 'em!

Catherine said...

While it looks pretty ~ I think mushrooms are best when bought from a store! ;)
xo Catherine

Betsy from Tennessee said...

I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one either, Ann.... I love mushrooms ---but buy mine in the grocery store or market...

That is a huge one. We are so dry here now (haven't had any rain much in 2 months now) that we have no mushrooms growing anywhere.

Hugs,
Betsy

Donna said...

Pretty photo, but you better leave it at that!

marie said...

When I was a little girl my dad used to take me mushroom pickin' - he knew a good one from a bad one. (like you I don't)
My mom would clean and cut up the mushrooms and then mix themup with Wishbone Italian dressing. So simple and so yummy!

allotments4you said...

As you know Ann I am a huge gardener...and yet I am still scared to pick my own mushrooms....I think I should get an identity book...I am so scared of making us all ill!!

Nessa said...

Hi Ann! i love mushrooms... those look safe to me, cos they have holes in it... eaten by worms or something cos if it's too clean/perfect its poisonous. and the color is not red/black/yellow. But don eat it yet, cos i could be wrong.

Diane Miller said...

Cool mushrooms! Also, You're blog is looking great!

FishHawk said...

I could be sadly mistaken. For it has been a while since I was fairly well acquainted with such things, but those look like what are often called, "Toad Stools," around here, which are most definitely not edible. Now, I'm not sure if they are poisonous or not, but I do remember that they ain't no good fer eatin' because of a dusty taste. (You can come to your own conclusions about how I would know that.)

Sher said...

I have tons of mushrooms that sprouted up this week but like you, I wouldn't know the good from the bad. I am looking forward though to do my mushroom hunting next month with a coworker. We're on the search for my favorite Chicken of the Woods!

Sandra said...

me either on the good from the bad to eat, but i do know this is a good photo of one, love all that detail in the brown thingy. you have mushrooms and we have a deadly nightshade.. hummmm

tahtimbo said...

We get those in our yard, too. From what I remember hearing, they are poisonous.
One thing I have always wanted to do is to grow shiitake mushrooms...I found a place that you can get them through the mail. Oh well, some day :)

Out on the prairie said...

Poor Wade, he may be watching what you are cooking for a while.HA!

missing moments said...

I love mushrooms. We would find them in our woods .. the morel kind ...so delicious!

Doris Sturm said...

I'm glad you didn't cook them up. Identifying mushrooms can be tricky. My dad is an expert mushroom hunter. When I was young, we often went into the woods (in Germany) and collected all sorts of mushrooms...my dad had a book that showed and explained the tiniest difference between the edible and poisonous kind because sometimes the differences were very slight and some of the poisonous ones could kill an entire family of four with just the tiniest amount. We read it in the papers all the time, where people collected mushrooms and not knowing them, cooked them and all of the family died...so be careful! I just stick with the ones in the stores just to be safe! I love mushrooms. I want to grow my own...you can get the kits!

Poetic Shutterbug said...

I'm with you, I don't know the good from the bad either. My Dad used to go mushroom hunting each year and would bring home some delicious specimens. I see them at the botanical gardens as well and am always tempted to bring some home :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails