Friday, March 29, 2019

The things I do

I've mentioned in the past (I think) that Gibbs can't have free run of the house. He needs to be confined to the room I'm in. So long as I'm watching him, he does fine. It's when he wanders that he does bad things.

My solution, if I'm upstairs in the computer/craft room, I block the door so he can't get out. If I'm in the living room or kitchen I close the basement door and have a piece of plastic that I prop up across the steps to keep him from going upstairs.
When I pulled out a couple of large Easter bunnies the other day I said to Amanda that I would have to find a place to put them because if I just left them sitting on the floor Gibbs would end up lifting his leg on them. I decided to set them on the steps. At first I had one on the bottom step and the other behind it a couple steps up. Then I decided to replace the plastic with the bunnies and see if that would keep him from going up.

Saturday night, all day Sunday and part of Monday he would not go past these two. Monday night all of a sudden he must have wanted upstairs bad because he shot right through the middle and on up the steps. I moved the little bag in the girl bunnies hand to the middle and now it hangs down low enough that he again won't go through. This is at least a cute solution until Easter. After that it'll be back to the plastic. I suppose I could buy a gate but I'm the only one who sees it so I go the cheap route.

19 comments:

Grace said...

Or you could find some fun stuffies to sit on the stairs. Dogs are so funny, not bright, but funny.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I figured he would go through that middle space! Now I wonder if he would eventually walk over the basket to get through...

Hootin Anni said...

Gotta love our critters (live & stuffed). I'd look around at garage sales or thrift stores for a decorative solution for a Gibbs barricade.

Kate said...

Made me smile, Ann. ^^

MadSnapper said...

since the bunnies work, they are much cuter than a gate would be.. 2 jobs one fix is always good..

Sandee said...

Whatever works and these two are so cute. Yes moving that basket to the middle would do the trick.

Have a fabulous day and weekend, Ann. Big hug to you and scritches to Gibbs. ♥♥♥

Rose said...

I am surprised that the plastic stops him! But yes, this is such a cute solution...

Lin said...

Ugh. My mom went through that with her cat. She had to block her off and my mom had gates with doors on them so that she could walk around her house. Stupid cat never thought to jump over. Go figure.

He's a naughty boy. I hope you can get these two bunnies to work. From there, I wonder if a motion-activated something would freak him out a bit and let you move about freely. I don't know anything about dog training--I bet somebody here will provide a solution.

CheerfulMonk said...

That's an ingenious solution. Good for you!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Glad it's working for you! We can leave Skye along for a long time. She is so good and doesn't get into any trouble at all.

Ann said...

That's an idea. Although Gibbs might think they are toys for him...lol

Ann said...

It took him a while before he was brave enough to go through. Now with the bag hanging in the middle he will stand in front of it waiting for me to move it so we can go upstairs.

Ann said...

Yes, a good excuse to browse the thrift shops and go yard saling...lol

Ann said...

Gibbs and his antics can be very entertaining

Ann said...

I was actually planning on taking the bunnies to work and leaving them there for decorations. When I took them out of the box they were cuter than I remembered so I decided to keep them

Ann said...

ooh, motion activated sounds like a good idea.

Ann said...

at least temporarily it's good

Reeni said...

Oh Gibbs you little troublemaker! :) The bunnies are so cute!!

Ann said...

He sure is...lol

Related Posts with Thumbnails