Thursday, August 10, 2023

Answers

 Or at least I'll answer all the questions the best I can.

Most of you said that you weren't familiar with this kind of test. Rather than me trying to explain it poorly I'm giving you a link that will tell you what it is and how it's done and why.

https://medlineplus.gov/lab-tests/electromyography-emg-and-nerve-conduction-studies/

There was also the question as to what was wrong and why I was having the test.

Well over the course of the past year I've had a few incidents where I had a shooting pain go up my left arm and across my chest. It was sort of a squeezing feeling that kind of took my breath away. Each one only last maybe half a minute. After several of those (months apart) I thought I better go to the doctor. First they did blood work and then she sent me for the EMG. Why I had to go for the EMG is beyond me because in her office she even said that everything I described pointed to heart. An EMG is for someone who has symptoms of a muscle or nerve disorder. 

Did I get the results back yet?

The doctor said that they would be to my doctor by noon Monday. They never called me. As I'm typing this late Tuesday, I still haven't heard from them. The last time I called them regarding test results I was told, "We'll call you". The doctor also said that from a quick glance it didn't appear that there was any problem. That didn't surprise me. I didn't expect him to find anything. 

Did it hurt?

I had an EMG and a nerve conduction study. For the nerve conduction study, some of the shocks were rather strong. They start out mild and grow in intensity. I was beginning to wonder if I would walk away from there with a permanent twitch. The EMG was what I was stressing about most because of reading about them inserting needles into the muscle. Turns out the needs were super tiny like what they would use for acupuncture and I barely felt them. 

I think that pretty much covers all the questions. My big one now is what will they do next or will she do nothing. Maybe they would prefer I just wait until I have a heart attack and the hospital can deal with me. I suppose that sounds a little over dramatic but sometimes doctors make me feel like I am nothing but a nuisance to them. That could explain why it takes a lot for me to make an appointment in the first place.


10 comments:

Terra said...

I hope you get your results soon and that the results are what you are hoping for.

DeniseinVA said...

Thank you for explaining all the details Ann, and good that you went to the doctors. Hopefully they will get back to you soon with more info.

Ginny Hartzler said...

No news is GOOD news! I would ask the doctor WHY the nerve test!! And why NOT heart tests! Speak up, I am worried for you. Remember, when it comes to healthcare, we need to be our own advocates.

Lori said...

Healthcare has really changed over the years and not for the better. Please stay on top of things. You do have to advocate for yourself these days.

Rose said...

No news is usually good news, but still I would call. You and your insurance paid for this...you deserve to know the answers. Calls are supposed to be made, but sometimes something happens and they are forgotten or overlooked.

MadSnapper said...

agree with Rose, call the doctor and ask is what I would do. I even do that when bob has a test. usually doctors make follow up visit appts for us, but both of us are OLD. healthcare is so frustrating these days.. agree with Ginny too, we are our only advocate, no one else knows what we know or cares like we care

Grace said...

Perhaps it is time to change doctors. I don't know what is available in your area but if you can find a physicians group affiliated with a hospital center/in a hospital center that would be a good change. Most hospital centers now have patient portals where you can arrange appointments and most importantly see test results as soon as they are available - often you can see them before your doctor gets to them. Doctors have many patients, you have only ONE - yourself. A cardiologist is your best bet. Ask your doctor for a referral, if one is needed, and get thee to a cardiologist ASAP.

I read about the EMG test and it has nothing to do with your "symptoms" and what your experienced!

CheerfulMonk said...

"Why I had to go for the EMG is beyond me because in her office she even said that everything I described pointed to heart." I agree with Grace, insist on a referral to a cardiologist, and maybe switch your GP. As other commenters have said, we have to be our own advocates. You deserve to be treated with respect.

happyone said...

Thanks for answering all those questions. Hope you get the results from the test soon.
Hoping you find out whats what with your heart!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thanks for answering the questions. Hope it all turns out okay and that you hear from the doctor soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails