Friday, December 22, 2023

Nativity

This nativity set has been around as long as I have. My parents may have had it before I was born but I know they had it on my first Christmas. Some of the original pieces are missing. I remember there used to be camels but one year suffered some melting from the heat in our attic. A few other pieces are broken but still usable. One of the shepherds has a hole in is shoulder and I believe it's the donkey that has one ear missing.

Since I set it up on my hutch I didn't have room for the stable.

I remember when I was little, my dad always took home movies. He would film me and my brother singing happy birthday to the baby Jesus. We always did that before opening presents on Christmas morning. 
Here is a closer look at some of the other figures. Notice the shepherd, front left with the hole in his shoulder.

10 comments:

Lori said...

What a special nativity with a lifetime of memories. These are the best decorations.

MadSnapper said...

they appear to be hand painted, certainly vintage, check ebay and see if they have one like it, might be worth a lot of money. mother had one that was very similar but hers was painted chalk. I have two, one is pieces like this and the other is the looks like glass plastic one all in one piece. I regret that I gave someone the vintage one piece i bought in 1985. I have since the year I gave it away...

Donna said...

What a sweet memory!!
I miss those easier times...
hugs
Donna

Ida said...

That is a wonderful Nativity set and how special that you still have it. I enjoyed seeing it and reading about your memories of it.

Jeanette said...

Beautiful! That is a family heirloom!

happyone said...

What a treasure that Nativity is.

CheerfulMonk said...

Yes, what a treasure! ❤️😊

Rose said...

What a treasure! It is wonderful to have that all these years.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Beautiful. I didn't put mine out this year but I remember you having basically the same pieces I have from my Mom and Dad's nativity. It is something I will never get rid of and Amber is going to take it someday.

DeniseinVA said...

Time honored and another family treasure connected to the memories you have growing up. That's incredibly special.

Related Posts with Thumbnails